A Visual Gallery of the Books I Read This Month
A Brief List of Each Book I Read and a Star Rating
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas (4 stars)
- Mistletoe & Mr. Right by Sarah Morgenthaler (3.5 stars) – ARC Review
- Love Her or Lose Her by Tessa Bailey (4.5 stars)
- In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren (3 stars) – ARC Review
- A Princess for Christmas by Jenny Holiday (3 stars) – ARC Review
- Miracles and Menorahs by Stacy Agdern (3 stars) – ARC Review
- Holiday Honey by Chencia C. Higgins (5 stars)
- If the Boot Fits by Rebekah Weatherspoon (3.5 stars) – ARC Review
- Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse (4 stars) – ARC Review
- Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone (4.5 stars) – ARC Review
- Birthday Shot by Rilzy Adams (3.5 stars)
- How Not to Fall and How Not to Let Go by Emily Foster (5 stars, rereads)
- Only When It’s Us by Chloe Liese (4 stars)
- Shit, Actually by Lindy West (4 stars) – ARC Review
- A Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong (5 stars) – ARC Review
- The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware (5 stars)
- Love is a Rogue by Lenora Bell (3 stars) – ARC Review
- Her Naughty Holiday by Tiffany Reisz (3 stars)
- Always Only You by Chloe Liese (5 stars)
- The Roommate by Rosie Danan (5 stars)
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi (4 stars)
- Halloween Boo by Sarah Spade (2 stars)
- The X-List by Evie Mitchell (2.5 stars)
Total Books Read: 24
Average Rating: 3.92
Sources: Owned (18) (2020 Haul, not including ARCs: 8; ARCs: 8), Borrowed (6)
Genre: Contemporary Romance: 16; PNR: 1; Fantasy: 2; Nonfiction: 1; Historical (including the time slip one): 2; Nonfiction: 1; Thriller: 1
Age Demographic: Adult: 23; YA: 1
Format: Physical (2), Ebook (15), Audio (7)
Authors of Color: 5 or 6?
Five Favorites of October
A Stitch in Time by Kelley Armstrong
Love Her or Lose Her by Tessa Bailey
The Roommate by Rosie Danan
Always Only You by Chloe Liese
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware
Honorable Mentions: Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone and Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
My Favorites Posts of Mine from October
My Favorite Posts from Around the Internet
Charlotte’s blog and the deep dives she does on romance novels are always great. This particular one is focusing on The Lord I Left by Scarlett Peckham. Nick’s incredible playlist post! And her Twitter thread of dogs with flowers and book covers. Because it’s sort of still spooky season, let me also share with you Nick’s post of Gothic Novels and Historical Mysteries! Amber also had a really neat post for Spooky Season. Arguably my favorite thing Amber announced this month though is the Reluctant Royals Celebration, which includes a bingo board! And then there’s the list Andrea, host of Shelf Love Podcast shared, and now I think I need to buy Binding Shadows by Jasmine Silvera thanks to Andrea and Tasha L. Harrison.
Speaking of Tasha L. Harrison, If you’re prepping for #NaNoWriMo, or, I suppose if you’ve started, she has this really cool template for plotting.
Check out this April (Spoiler Alert) cosplay from Mary! And while we’re on the topic of Spoiler Alert, Olivia Dade, Talia Hibbert, Taj McCoy, and Cassandra Newbould did a panel on body positivity and writing on Facebook. Also, check out these incredible drawings from Helen Kord on Twitter for #Romancetober.
Finally, M made this really important post that I’m still grappling with about how the romance community can be really trans-exclusionist. That’s not the kind of romance community I want to foster so I’m going to keep trying to do better.
If you’re in the United States, I know today is going to be rough, which is probably putting it mildly. I hope this post has given you a few moments of distraction. I hope you’ve gotten your vote in and can now sit anxiously and await the results. Regardless of what happens in this election, there’s a lot of work to do in order for us to have the country we deserve. But for now, take a breath, try to relax, and we’ll reconvene when we’ve recovered from whatever the outcome is. Now, whether you’re in the U.S. or out, let me know what your favorite book of October was! And if you’ve got opinions on the Goodreads Choice Awards, please feel free to rant in my comments because I am HERE for you.